WHAT IS CUPPING?
Below are the two best definitions that I have found so far.
“ Cupping is the application of suction or vacuum to the skin for a therapeutic effect” Author Unknown
“Myofascial Cupping is the therapeutic application of cups designed to release and mobilize soft tissue restrictions, increase blood flow, facilitate lymphatic movement, etc” Author Unknown
- You will learn as we go through the next few modules, Cupping is an Ancient Medical Treatment and not a new fad as many believe.
- We will go into the History of Cupping in a subsequent Module, but it’s important to know for now that cupping has been used as an add along with medical treatments for over 3000 years.
- Cupping is the application of suction or vacuum to the skin for a therapeutic effect. There are different types of cupping that we will dive into, but for now, in simplistic terms, cups can be applied to the skin and left in one place, or can be massaged or can glide across the skin and can be applied and then removed really quickly. Each has different purposes that we will learn soon.
- Cupping is one of the few, if not the only manual treatments that lifts, separates, and mobilizes while decompressing the tissues rather than compressing
- As therapists, we are more accustomed to working 2 dimensionally, meaning we can stretch or lengthen tissues in one direction and also the opposite direction whether that be along the muscle to lengthen or cross fiber to soften. Still only working within the two dimensions.
- Due to the suction of cupping lifting and separating the tissue upwards, you can continue to work two dimensionally, but now because of the tissue being lifted,you are now encompassing the three dimensional stretch and tissue work. This is a major game changer in the therapeutic world.
- Cupping results often occur faster than with traditional Manual work at softening tissues. We will learn more about how this occurs in the next few modules, but for now we will share that what would normally take about 15 Minutes to warm and soften tissue with Manual manipulation will most often occur in approx 1-3 Minutes with cupping. This quickness in results allow the therapists to progress further within sessions, can teach client/patients to work on some issues with cups at home in between sessions and can often times for the first time for some clients/patients, get results that last longer than a few hours/days/weeks.
- Benefits also extend to the therapists as cupping performed correctly is much easier on the therapists which helps extend therapists longevity and can even help you physically be able to increase the number of sessions performed.
In this course, you will learn to take this ability of adding this third dimensional stretch with cupping and incorporate it along with deep tissue work, lymphatic drainage, therapeutic stretching, body movement/kinesiology, working along fascial pathways and so much more.