IMAGINE STRETCHING, REHYDRATING, LIQUIFYING TISSUE WHERE YOU ACTUALLY NEED IT
- Decompression and Separation of the Tissue
- Vasodilation (Increasing Blood Flow and Oxygen)
- Stimulates Fibroblast Activation
- Disrupts excessive collagen cross linkages
- Positive Effects through Thixotropic-like nature of connective tissue
- Activates Mechanoreceptors
- Stimulates Production of neurotransmitters: Serotonin, Dopamine, Endorphins, Norepinephrine, Acetylcholine, Oxytocin
- Most Manual Treatments are designed with focus on muscles or muscle groups with the intent of loosening and lengthening for improved mobility.
- Myofascial Decompression Cupping includes the musculoskeletal focus, but adds in an intense focus of the Fascial System, including the Links and Matrices of the fascial system, Ground Substance, Adhesions, Contractions,
MDC is an effective way to mobilize dysfunctional myofascial tissue to restore mobility and function
The Vacuum/Suction “draws” the soft tissue (superficial Fascia) up into the cup creating a tensile force to the soft tissue.
It can be left on one site for a prolonged period of time (with caution) or moved along the tissue.
So What’s happening from a Microscopic View:
- Brief Temporary Vasoconstriction & Hypoxia followed by
- Effects of Vasodilation, Stimulation of Fibroblasts, Collagen Fibers, Elastin, Fascia hydration, Releasing of Multiple Neurotransmitters
- Loosening of the Tissue
As cupping encourages blood flow to the cupped region (hyperemia), one may therefore feel warm as a result of vasodilatation and slight sweating may occur.
SUSTAINED PRESSURE & HEAT HELPS TO TURN MORE GELATINOUS TISSUE INTO LIQUID WHICH IS CALLED THIXOTROPHY.
Place your finger on a a stick of butter and it starts to melt. Place the butter in heat and you see it turn to liquid..
Ida Rolf proposed the theory that connective tissue is a colloid substance in which the ground substance can be influenced by application of energy-heat or mechanical pressure to change from dense “gel” state to more fluid “sol” state
Many believed Thixotropy was responsible for lasting change- Bodyworkers can feel the tissue soften and release, but then the problem of reversIbility arises after treatment and the tissue returns to state of rigidity. Example: Butter when placed back in the refrigerator changes back to a solid substance.
Thixotrophy is believed to be a contributor in longer lasting results, but is not believed to be the sole reason because of reversability mentioned above.
SUSTAINED MECHANICAL PRESSURE OR SQUEEZING CREATES AN ELECTRIC CHARGE
Electric Charge transmits into Crystal in Fascia and stimulates Fibroblasts to alter metabolic absorption
This was believed to be the reason for Myofascial Release and lasting results. This theory was challenged due to the:
- Half Life of non-traumatized collagen is 300-500 days
- Ground Substance LIfe is 1.7- 7 days.
Life cycles are now believed to be too slow to account for immediate tissue changes.
However, the fascial system is now believed to be the electrical conduit system which opens up an entire new thought process and a major contributor to lasting change, but not the sole reason.
Chemical Changes occur as a result of fluid movement
Cupping induces ischemia (blood starvation)
- Fascia- Crystal liquifies
- Vessels are sensitive to ischemia and hypoxia (oxygen deprivation) and dilate (vasodilation) in response to produce a reactive hyperemia (increased blood flow)
- Increase in flow helps clear waste and bring in oxygen and nutrients
- Blood is rich in healing factors like platelets
- Neurotransmitters Release
3. NEUROLOGICAL CHANGES
PERCEPTION & IT’S INTERACTION
Dr Robert Schleip, Director of European Rolphing Association & Director of Fascia Research at University of Ulm in Germany – Phd Biology – Performed Manual Therapy under Anesthesia
- Treating the Tissue was related to be Similar to treating fresh raw meat
- Myofascial Release affected tissues differently than if awake and alert
Many see nervous system as old telephone switchboard which would be incapable of fine and complex processes like “Life Energy”, Intuitive Thoughts, Rapid Movement and human empathy
Fascia contains much faster communication than Nervous System
It’s Fast adapting
- Helps desensitize irritated nerves
- Can be used prior to deeper work
- Can Induce Pain Modulation by stimulating the body to release opiods/enkaphalins
- Immediate gains in mobility via stretch reflex
- Can reduce muscle spasm and hypertonicity by stimulating the golgi tendon organ inhibition stretch reflex called autogenic inhibition which reduces gamma motor and inhibits muscle tone..
- Trigger Point – MDC deforms them which helps unwind the local contraction, flushing with blood, reduces irritability and nerve endings that propagate Trigger Points
Neurological Changes are now theorized to be the major contributor of lasting change with favorable conditions.
YOU GET ALL 3 AT ONCE AND QUICKLY !
- Thixotrophy – Heat Gel to Liquid (Due to the quick vasodilation)
- Piezoelectric Response – Tissue suction and squeezed into cup creates an electric charge to liquify crystal in the fascia web and matrix (Due to the squeeze cause by the suction in the cup)
- Relaxes Nervous System – By releasing neurotransmitters & Stimulates the fascial mechanoreceptors (Cupping dumps large amount of neurotransmitters into the blood system)
- Think of Restrictions like a string tied around a slab of meat to hold it together for cooking. You can massage this tissue lengthways and cross fiber, but until the strings are broken loose, the muscle is not going to give, lengthen or soften. To do that, we need a natural form of heat, electricity and a sedated nervous system. Cupping delivers this environment rapidly.
—> Release: Break Up the Strings or Glue that holds it together
——-> Mobilize: Stretch out the Meat or Pull the Tissue Apart